Saturday, October 24, 2015

House hunting

It's been a year and a half since we first started looking for the Florida half of our two-condo plan. Back then, we couldn't find what we were looking for (a nice condo that takes big dogs) so we compromised on the Hillcrest condo. But I've never liked it and we've been looking ever since. This trip we've looked harder than ever. I've spent hours on the MLS. Realtors have shown us places every week. We've made offers on three things that didn't work out. I'm now ready to admit defeat. There isn't a condo in South Florida for us. So we're branching out to houses. In the past, I've resisted the idea of a house.  In fact, earlier this year the people who bought our Taft Street house offered to sell it back to us but I said no because I was afraid I'd worry about it when we were gone. But now I'm changing my tune. I really don't want to stay at Hillcrest. So today we went to an open house in Shady Banks, a little 1950s neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale. We won't be making an offer on that one, but I like the area and I'm going to keep my eye on it.


Here I am in Hortt Park in Shady Banks. The park has lots of comfortable benches...



 A new outdoor gym...



A large playground...




And a new tennis court.

We're planning on heading back to Austin in two weeks, so I don't know if we'll find something in Shady Banks or anywhere else this trip. But branching out to houses gives us hundreds more choices than we had before.  I don't know where we'll end up, but it's an adventure!

6 comments:

Susanna Powers said...

hi Ellie, you should take your time & make sure it's right before moving again. the new neighborhood looks pretty. love, susanna

Amber said...

I say just live in Austin and when you go to Florida - stay at the Granby! Once you have a HOUSE in Florida, you'll get a dog and want to stay there full time. And that would be fine. You can live in Florida and when you come to Austin, stay at an Extended Stay America!

Susanna Powers said...

What amber said.

Cheezhead Robin said...


Amber is probably right, and would probably prefer that you live in the Austin area. Sounds like you are a great help with raising the kids, and they love spending time with you, too. But living by the ocean sounds wonderful. Have you checked out www.zillow.com for real estate?

Ellen said...

Hi Robin. Actually, I was just on Zillow a few minutes ago. I check the listings on Zillow, Redfin, Realtor.com, Yellowkeyrealty, Trulia, and Movoto constantly. More than anything else, I want to find the right Florida half of the two condo plan, get our next dog, and stop looking.

Jefferson said...

It is good to give yourself more choices by expanding to actual homes, especially when you need a place that accepts big dogs. I am glad you found an area you like with Shady Banks. You should definitely take your time and make sure you are moving into an area and a home that is right for you and your family.